Archive for the ‘exhibits’ Category

Reception or dinner dress, ca. 1885. Silk faille, pearls. Made by R.H. White & Co. of Boston

Don’t forget – “Stepping Out: The Art of Formalwear” opens this Sunday. Our exhibit explores the art of “dressing to the nines” for men and women from the 1870s to the 1980s. The opening reception is this Sunday, November 13, from 1-4 pm at the Cassidy Art Museum, 35 Washington Street, in Peabody. The reception and the exhibit are free and open to the public. We can’t think of a more pleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon.


Read Full Post »

Witness the dramatic evolution of special occasion attire between 1870-1980 in Stepping Out: The Art of Formal Wear. This exhibition will feature items from the Peabody Historical Society’s costume collection including gowns, suits, capes, coats, hats, and jewelry that illustrate how men and women “dressed to the nines” from the Victorian period through the modern era.

Stepping Out: The Art of Formalwear is on view at the Peabody Historical Society from November 13, 2011 to April 15, 2012. The exhibit is on display in the Gideon Foster House, 33 Washington Street, and the Cassidy Art Museum, 35 Washington Street, in Peabody. OPENING RECEPTION – Sunday, November 13, 2011, 1-4 pm, Cassidy Art Museum. The reception and the exhibit are free and open to the public.

Evening Gown, ca. 1936-1938

Read Full Post »

Poke Bonnet, ca. 1830s-1850s

“I consider that without hats, an intrinsic part of fashion, we would have no civilization.” – Christian Dior

Hats Off to History and Art is a collaboration between the Peabody Historical Society and the Peabody Art Association. PAA artists were invited to create art based on historic and vintage hats in the collection of the Peabody Historical Society. The show features a variety of period hats, ranging from poke bonnets to pillboxes to straw hats, all from the Society’s collection. The hats date from the mid-19th century up to the 1970s and traces the evolution of headwear. “Poke bonnets” (above) were so-called because the wearer could poke up all of her hair beneath it. By contrast, cloche hats of the 1920s (below) were fitted close to the head – perfect for the short, bobbed hairstyles women sported during that decade. The show also features a large selection of vintage hats from the 1950s and 60s, an era of glamor and sophistication in which a woman wasn’t considered properly dressed for leaving the house unless she wore a hat and gloves. The show also includes a selection of men’s hats, including military hats.

Hats off to History and Art is on view through August 31st at the Peabody Historical Society’s Osborn Salata House, 33 Washington Street in Peabody. For more information visit www.peabodyhistorical.org.

Cloche from the 1920s

Read Full Post »

Just a Reminder

Dinner or Reception Dress, ca. 1870-1873

The Peabody Historical Society’s exhibition “A Century of Style: 1840-1940” will be on display until May 1, 2011. If you were unable to make it to the opening reception, and were too busy to visit during the holiday season, don’t worry. There is still plenty of time to view the display of twenty-four dresses spanning a century, as well as a stunning selection of costume jewelry from our collection.

Read Full Post »

Salem Willows by Ruth O'Keefe, 2004

Ruth O’Keefe’s charming oil paintings of historic sites and houses on the North Shore are a reflection of her lifelong love of history and art. O’Keefe began painting when she was a child, and for ten years she studied with Tom Nolan at the Peabody Council on Aging. Now a resident of Danvers, O’Keefe lived in Peabody for over forty years. She has been a valued member of the Peabody Historical Society for forty-one years, serving on the board and volunteering for the organization in various capacities. O’Keefe has twelve grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

Home is Where the Hearth Is: Paintings of Historic Sites and Homes on the North Shore will be on view in the Elizabeth Cassidy Art Museum at the Osborn-Salata House, 33 Washington Street, Peabody, Massachusetts until April 18, 2010. Museum hours are the first and third Sunday of every month, from 12-3 pm.

Read Full Post »